Skip to main content

~ Read this next:

E-book project & the NWN1 Module Dreamcatcher 3

Hey everyone, glad you wanted to pay me a visit :)

As you may or may not know, I wrote and designed NWN modules between the years 2003-2009, and I've had a nagging feeling for a long time that I want to do something more with them. 

But what, has been the main question. I've finally come to a conclusion: I'm going to write e-book versions of them. And this is going to be the place where I tell you about it. 

But what about the PC-character? Players have made their own hero or heroine while playing my NWN mods, so how would this take form within an e-book? Well, I need to cement some kind of main character in order for an E-book format to work. 

I've reflected upon this a lot as well, and when it comes to other games, I usually tend to use the same name for my characters. And especially when it comes to the Mass Effect & Dragon Age games. 

A recurring name, which I actually used for the very first time in NWN (namely in Stefan Gagne's The HeX Coda) is Vincent

Also, Vin C. Kross, as you may remember from my previous posts, is the main character I currently use while replaying the official NWN campaign. His name is actually a variation of Vincent. ;) 

So, the above points actually makes Vincent a pretty natural and fitting choice as the main character for my e-books. 

Vincent's distinctive features has always been black hair (sometimes combined with a black beard/mustasch) and green eyes (as long as the character creator allows it). 

Below follows some screenshots of him in some of the games that I've played:

The very first Vincent in Stefan Gagne's NWN module The Hex Coda.

As Vincent appears in the Mass Effect Trilogy.

The Dragon Age version of Vincent.

From the visual novel Arcade Spirits (also made by Stefan Gagne)


I currently have the main character settled. But which NWN module tale should I start with? I want you guys to have your say in the matter, so I'll post a poll about it below. I hope you'd like to participate. :)



In other NWN module news, I recently finished and reviewed Chris Huntoon's The Us Unseen, which made me think about another module with a similar theme. 

Since you guys voted on the last poll that you think it's okay for me to post spoilers, as long as I mark them as such, I'll start doing that. See the poll results below:

The results of the last poll.










The module that The Us Unseen made me think about was Adam Miller's Dreamcatcher 3

I recommend playing the entire series, of course, starting with the Shadowlords modules and then moving on to Dreamcatcher, but in case you have little time to play, I'd recommend to at least play Dreamcatcher 3. 

I'll first tell you a creepy tale from Dreamcatcher 3, and then tell you about the connections with The Us Unseen, below. 👇

*** SPOILERS ***



In a later part of Dreamcatcher 3, your main character gets imprisoned in a dark undergound waterway, below a castle. 

You get stripped of all items and weapons, and are dressed in only rags. You need to scavenge the area for food and a light source just to get by. [Sidenote: This scene was actually the inspiration for the prison scene in A New Journey Begins.]

Even later on, when you've tried to slowly move your way forward, with only a torch by your side... you encounter a well. 

It is to the brim filled with water. If you look into it, you can manage to make out some kind of dark shapes moving, deep below in the depths. 

When you leave the well, to continue onward... something suddenly splashes up from the well! 

The Deep Ones have found you.

The Us Unseen is a smorgasbord of Lovecraft references, like Cthulhu, The Nameless City or Yuggoth. 

At the end of the module, The Deep Ones also makes a short appearance. It was those monsters that reminded me of Dreamcatcher 3, since that module was the very first work of fiction that introduced me to anything remotely Lovecraftian-like. 



*** SPOILERS END ***


In case you read the spoiler section above, I hope you enjoyed my creepy tale. ;)

That's actually all for now. :) Take care, everyone and remember to <<subscribe to my email list>>, so you'll avoid missing any future posts!

Birger out. ✌💖 

~ I'd appriciate if you'd leave a comment & SHARE the post ❤ -- For commenting, you have three alternatives, (1.) use your Google Account, (2.) choose a name/url, or (3.) write anonymously! ~

Comments

  1. Dreamcatcher modules are definitely the high point of Adam Miller's Faerûn saga :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. * Anonymous
    I agree, totally! :) The finale was really cool especially ^_^ I also liked the end of Shadowlords, that was really cool too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A SURPRISE RELEASE to Neverwinter Vault & more! 🥳🎉

Hey, everyone, I've got some GREAT NEWS! 😃 I've released TWO DEMOs to Neverwinter Vault today! 🥳🎉 Yeah, I've not been talking about it, since I wanted it to be a surprise . 😋 Some of you may recall ( if you followed me back in 2008 ) that I, back then, occasionally mentioned my development of two NWN1 RPGs. I'm talking about  Insania Fabula and Puppet Masters -- it's those two that I have released DEMOs for to Nwvault today! 😄  I have also released & updated a bunch of new stuff back on Patreon (more about that below) -- I've actually been really busy as of late, hehe. 😅 This time, I thought I'd let the content speak for itself, instead of rambling on about it, so without further adu, here is what's been released recently + their links : Two new NWN1-DEMOs for Insania Fabula & Puppet Masters (released to Neverwinter Vault) Artpack 1 with 32 original art pieces illustrated by me (released on Patreon) Artpack 2 with 11 fan art pieces i

Secret Revelation!

The time has come ... the time has come to finally reveal what my current secret project is . I told you earlier that it is something that both old and new fans would be able to enjoy ... it is also something that I have done in the past . The truth is that I am currently making: A REMAKE OF CALM BEFORE THE STORM , THE FIRST MODULE I EVER MADE!! See now? It's something both old and new players could enjoy, isn't it? :D Exciting huh? ;) So, what is this remake going to feature, you ask? I'll give you a quick check-list: * REVAMPED & EXPANDED DIALOGS . * A COUPLE OF COMPLETELY NEW DIALOGS . *NEW CUSTOM MUSIC FOR ALL AREAS . *A NEW HENCHMAN . * REVAMPED HENCHMAN-DIALOGS & COMMANDS . * IMPROVED ENEMIES AS WELL AS A COUPLE OF NEW ONES . *A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT FINAL BATTLE & ENDING . *SOME QUESTS HAS BEEN EXPANDED WITH ADDITIONAL CHOICES . Also some things that MIGHT be featured: *NEW SIDEQUESTS . *NEW BONUS AREA ( THE REMAKE WILL CURRENTLY NOT INCLU

LEGACY POST: Birger's Golden Dragon Interview 💛🐲

This is more of a legacy post than a regular post, since, unfortunately, the website for Academy of Modding Excellence (the group that gave out the Golden Dragon Awards ) -- has officially closed down.  And with it, the official place for my very own Golden Dragon Award interview from 2008 has been lost, as well.  BUT -- I'm not giving up. As luck would have it, I made sure to save a copy of the interview on my computer, in case the website would go down.  I'm SO glad I did that, since that means I can still share the interview with you guys . 😊💛 Without further adu: The Golden Dragon Interview [ Click / touch on each of the images above to zoom in. If you're on mobile, you may need to watch in landscape mode. ] The comments below the interview [ Click / touch on each of the images above to zoom in. If you're on mobile, you may need to watch in landscape mode. ] Birger out.  ✌💙 ~ Remember to  subscribe to my newsletter  to recieve the PROLOGUE and CHAPTE