Skip to main content

~ Read this next:

Mission Completed!

A scary scarecrow is hanging here ... creepy.
(You'll find more screenshots at the end of this post.)


My submission to the BouncyRock Halloween Project, "Berra's Estate of Horrors"; is finally COMPLETED! Man - that sure took more time than I had expected. :D It was a good thing that I had previous experiences from NWN1 because that helped a lot ... most things are actually pretty similar to the the Aurora Toolset (Toolset from NWN1).

Ahead comes my toolset experiences ... these may not make too much sense for someone who has never opened or developed something with the toolset but I'm trying to be as explanative as possible so you should have at least some clue of what I've been through but still, should you feel this is nothing for you, then go below the line I've written at the bottom in this post and read the rest from there ... so here it goes:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About 2/3 of the time that it took to make this module has been invested in bashing my head against the toolset! Man! I mean MAN! Sometimes errors appeared like I'd never seen before!

In the beginning of my mod-making I was bashing my head in trying to think of a solution to get facial expressions (like when an NPC smiles, frowns or looks scared) to appear within the game in a conversation. Eh - - by the way, for anyone who doesn't know what a conversation is, it's basically when you talk to a character in the game. And NPC means Non-player character. Man this really feels explationary ... :D Anyway, in I just couldn't make them appear but enough about the issues ... here's the solution: I had just entered that I wanted the facial expressions to appear by themselves ... that won't work. You'll have to combine them with an ANIMATION (like waving, laughing etc.) for it to work properly. Glad I finally sorted that out. :D

One time, I wanted the PC to teleport to an exterior area (like a forest, for example) from within an interior (basically, a house or castle). The script was perfect, since it works just fine in the NWN1 game (scripting hasn't changed that much from NWN1, thankfully). But it just DIDN'T WORK! NOTHING HAPPENED! So, being the extremely stubborn personality that I am when it comes to creating something, I kept going. I tried, again and again and again ... trying various scripting-techniques to make it work ... but NOTHING.

I finally posted a help-thread back at the Bioware Forums. But just then, actually before anyone had the time to answer, I decided to look in my newly printed copy of the Don't Panic Guide to the Toolset (which I mentioned in an earlier post) ... then it hit me. I hadn't made any walkable surfaces in the exterior I wanted the PC to teleport to (you basically have to PAINT the areas you want the PC to be able to walk on in an exterior, otherwise they'll just get stuck in those areas without walkable surfaces). Once, I did that, it worked perfectly. FINALLY. One problem out of the window BUT ... another one was yet to come ... ;)

Another problem that made me extremely frustrated was when I was trying to make a climable mountain in this exterior area ... I wanted it to be tall. I mean REALLY TALL. But the walkable surfaces that I mentioned earlier just didn't want to go all the way to the top so that you could be able to climb to the very top ... so I basically had to cut about 2 thirds of the mountain in the end. I tried for about 3 hours (!!!) to make it work but in the end I decided to cut it. But it's still pretty tall in the module anyway, so really no loss there ... except for the time-factor, of course. :D

In the latest part of development I wanted an NPC to play an animation (like waving, dancing, etc.) but in my case, I wanted the NPC to lie completely still on the floor. And not stand up again. In my case ... the NPC DID STAND UP AGAIN. I had no clue what was going on. I had made it so that the script would last as long as the module was still active ... but STILL, this NPC refused to stop STANDING UP. I tried various scripting-techniques once again before finally ... somehow, I made it work. Don't ask me how. That's the beauty of mod-making ... sometimes it just works and sometimes it just DOESN'T. In my case, it finally did though. :D

I still have the WORST part left to tell you ... ;) But I'll think I'll place that below the toolset line here ... so anyone can find out about it. :D

But before that I'd like to mention some of the good stuff. :) It was really fun playing around with the toolset (while it actually worked) and making various NPCs and placing appropriate placeables was very fun to do. Conversation writing was one of the funnier things to do, I think ... especially when you can add facial expressions. Really fun.

It was pretty awesome to get back to writing something for Jina & Frogrin again ... they are, after all, two of my favorite characters I've made, I think. I think they translated pretty well to NWN2 as well. I found Jina's hair-cut to not really fit her though ... so I actually made another one that you'll be able to see by the end of the mod. I personally think that hair-cut suits her better. There is also a short haircut that could fit for her ... maybe sometime in the future, if she decides to cut her hair a bit ... for whatever reason. ;) Because if I do something else for NWN2, I'd probably make another story about Jina & Frogrin.

The new character, The Apprentice, was a character that was very funny to write. I think he turned out pretty well ... and he sure is grumpy, isn't he? ;)

Also making other various references to my old NWN1 mods created a true sense of nostalgica ... awesome. :) I thought that since this is my first NWN2 mod, I could as well include characters from my previous works. And I personally think it was a really awesome decision. :)

All in all, this experience sure had a lot of problems and errors while creating but overall, it was VERY FUN making it. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's one extreme problem I had that anyone can understand, I think. Here it goes:

I was almost done with the module. It was saturday evening 11th of October and the dead-line for the module was by 13th of October. That was the time it HAD to be done. Plenty of time left, I thought. Man ... was I WRONG.

I was calmly building in the toolset when I suddenly noticed that the toolset moved VERY SLOWLY ... I thought "crap, this must mean that the toolset will crash on me any moment now" (which it actually does pretty frequently) ... so I quickly pressed the save button ... and CRASH. The toolset has crashed. Nothing wrong with that, it usally does a couple of times a day. But not during the time YOU SAVE.

I decided to open the toolset again and open up the only area I had created at the time (the area with most things in it as well ...) ... and an error message appeared. It said something like "Error, can't open, corrupted" or something like that. Finally, the area opened ... but it was blank. COMPLETELY BLANK! THERE WAS NOTHING IN IT! NOTHING! EVERYTHING WAS GONE! Every placeable, character, waypoint, camera, lightning effect, door etc. was GONE! Everything I had worked on the ENTIRE WEEK! MAN, WAS I PISSED! CRAP!!!

So, basically, the rest of saturday was used up by browsing the net trying to find a way to fix my corrupted mod. I found some tools that apparently could fix the corrupted module ... but this site was written in a way that required you to be EINSTEIN for you to be able to fully understand. I can't believe why people write a site in such a way? Why not write it in a way so ANYONE CAN UNDERSTAND IT?! Man. Anyway, in the end, I gave up. My energy was gone.

I rested for a bit, then I decided to pick up the toolset again. I decided that the only way for me to fix this, was to REBUILD THE ENTIRE AREA AGAIN from SCRATCH. Thankfully as I found out, not everything had been deleted. The entire area was gone, yes ... but conversations, scripts and blueprints were left. Thank God for that. Otherwise, I would've probably never been able to finish the mod.

Another awesome thing was when Jclef (the director of the project) decided to extend the deadline to 17th of October instead of 12th. Thanks for that man. :) So basically, thanks to him, the finished mod you'll be able to play in the Halloween Project will be so much better polished and includes a lot of other stuff that would've never make it in-game otherwise ... so, send him your thanks people. :D

Special thanks goes to my friend Archon (the guy who's made the artworks for Calm before the Storm and Surviving Horror 2) for Beta-testing the mod and coming with extremely good advice! You'll also be seeing him within the mod, so be sure to look forward of meeting him once the mod has been released! :) He's hilarious! :D

I think that would be all. As I said previously, the mod will include various characters from my NWN1 modules, so if you've played them, you'll most likely enjoy yourself even more.

I'll finish this post with some screenshots from the game ... enjoy & be sure to keep your eyes open for the release!



The entrace to the Estate as well as a conversation with The Apprentice.



A scary scarecrow, a dark mosaic painting and familiar faces ... I think I recognize those two. Don't you?



Dark mannequins and the door to the basement ... what could be lurking in the basement ...? Be sure to download and find out!


The first picture is of the artist Archon, creator of "DarkSun's Glare". The second picture, yes, you guessed it ... that's me. Pretty cool, huh?


Berra out.

Comments

  1. Heh, it sounds like you had many similar problems to mine when modding.
    My modding was for Oblivion, though.
    And I had the almost exact same expirience with "crash while saving". At the given time I was geting used to the "crash after not saving 30 minutes" routine. So, I saved a lot. And often. And I made an entire interior cell, and an exterior cell (which was a horrible expirience) complete with a couple of NPCs that can be a real pain in the behind. And - yes, I save, it crashes, I lose EVERYTHING!
    It was originaly a quest to find the Ice armor prominently featured in DSG now... gave up on it later... :(

    Lookin' great there! I can't wait to see what have you changed since the last time I saw it :)
    And I look handsome! :P Very unlike me - pure surrealism.

    Though the biggest mistery, and the most chilling thing about the whole house is - What are YOU doing there? And why do you need an apprentice?
    The possibilties of ghastly tests and evil deeds are just frightening! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Berra. I guess all of us who've had to wrestle with the Electron Toolset have had our growing pains. Once you get used to it, though, you may find that the possibilities for visually exciting modules are greater with it than with the Aurora Toolset. Here's hoping that we'll be seeing more NWN2 modules from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Zoltan,

    Graahh! Remind me to not start modding for Oblivion then ... ;)

    Great to hear you're looking forward to it. I think you'll be pretty satisfied with what I've added ... especially considering that you thought Jina should have a different hair-cut ... maybe there'll be a face- (or rather, hair-) lift ;)

    *Frank Perez

    That seems to be more than true. :) But the good thing is that it's still very fun building as long as it works. ;)

    Yeah indeed, I have actually realized that. Great to hear that you're looking forward to more NWN2 mods! That's a possibility that could be highly possible. :) I mean, I just have to claim the HoF award for NWN2 as well, right? :D

    Thanks for commenting, both of you! :) Highly appriciated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A SURPRISE RELEASE to Neverwinter Vault & more! 🥳🎉

Hey, everyone, I've got some GREAT NEWS! 😃 I've released TWO DEMOs to Neverwinter Vault today! 🥳🎉 Yeah, I've not been talking about it, since I wanted it to be a surprise . 😋 Some of you may recall ( if you followed me back in 2008 ) that I, back then, occasionally mentioned my development of two NWN1 RPGs. I'm talking about  Insania Fabula and Puppet Masters -- it's those two that I have released DEMOs for to Nwvault today! 😄  I have also released & updated a bunch of new stuff back on Patreon (more about that below) -- I've actually been really busy as of late, hehe. 😅 This time, I thought I'd let the content speak for itself, instead of rambling on about it, so without further adu, here is what's been released recently + their links : Two new NWN1-DEMOs for Insania Fabula & Puppet Masters (released to Neverwinter Vault) Artpack 1 with 32 original art pieces illustrated by me (released on Patreon) Artpack 2 with 11 fan art pieces i

LEGACY POST: Birger's Golden Dragon Interview 💛🐲

This is more of a legacy post than a regular post, since, unfortunately, the website for Academy of Modding Excellence (the group that gave out the Golden Dragon Awards ) -- has officially closed down.  And with it, the official place for my very own Golden Dragon Award interview from 2008 has been lost, as well.  BUT -- I'm not giving up. As luck would have it, I made sure to save a copy of the interview on my computer, in case the website would go down.  I'm SO glad I did that, since that means I can still share the interview with you guys . 😊💛 Without further adu: The Golden Dragon Interview [ Click / touch on each of the images above to zoom in. If you're on mobile, you may need to watch in landscape mode. ] The comments below the interview [ Click / touch on each of the images above to zoom in. If you're on mobile, you may need to watch in landscape mode. ] Birger out.  ✌💙 ~ Remember to  subscribe to my newsletter  to recieve the PROLOGUE and CHAPTE

Support NWNVault by Becoming a Patreon!

The Folks behind the "New" Nwnvault is Accepting Patreons ! In case you ask yourself right now "What the heck is a   Patreon , Birger??" In short -- people , like you and me ; decide to help by Donating $'s Each Month . That way, we can become Monthly Supporters . Your next Question may be "Why, Birger ... why???" Well, to put this even simpler: Nwnvault is Ad-free and Hosting the Website costs Money from their own Pockets . If we want Nwnvault to stay Ad-free and better yet -- Keep Staying on the Internet -- then becoming a Patreon would be a very wise choice indeed. Join me and Let's Support Our Community Together ! ^_^ Birger out.